In the historical centre, walking along Corso street , we reach San Silvestro Parish. Built in 1641, as Prioria, it was increased in 1821. On the façade we can admire an arcade, supported by neo-classical columns. Inside, a beautiful Crucifixion and Saints, oil by Giovanni di Bartolomeo, pupil of Ghirlandaio, dated back XVI century.
Open every day (from 7am to 12am; from 4pm to 7pm). Info: tel.+39 055 841063
Of striking interest the Oratorio della Compagnia, just on the right of the parish. Ancient parish church, it holds an extensive nave in Gothic style, constituted by wood trusses and, all along the perimeter, it is decorated by a wooden chorus and valuable carved panels.
At the roundabout, just past the Medici castle, we move left towards the Panoramica di Rivalgo, coasting Lake Bilancino. Moving along the southern edge of the lake, on the left we find a sign for San Giovanni in Petroio. The road is loose earth but accessible. The church was built in 1097 on what was once an ancient Roman road. From the year 1482 it belonged to the Medici family who left numerous signs of their presence. The portico and the inside are lined with stone columns with Romanesque capitals while in the nave on the right we find a 15th century sandstone baptismal font.
From Barberino, we move back onto the provincial road north towards San Gavino. Here we find the San Gavino Parish Church, built in 1037 by the Alberti, Counts of Mangona. It was once among the most important churches in Mugello and ruled over 17 other suffragan churches. The façade and the bell tower hold numerous coats of arms of the Medici family, benefactors of the church from the 15th century.