The Sant'Agata Collection of Sacred Art
Sant’Agata – Compagnia di San Jacopo
This exhibition was born from the necessity of protecting and using the numerous works coming from shrines and deserted churches of the territory in St. Agata and as well as precious witnesses of the artistic life of the parish church.
Opposite the entrance in a wooden 16th century shrine there is the mystic wedding of St. Catherine by Bicci di Lorenzo (1430); on the same wall and the corresponding one there are frescoes and the respective pieces taken from a 15th century shrine which is placed at the old entrance of the village.
In the centre two self-supporting structures contain a Madonna with child and San Giovannino, a terracotta polychrome by Giovanni della Robbia (16th century), a painting by the Master from Signa (15th century), St Michael of the Florentine 16th century art and the only known work by "Nicholaus", a Madonna with child, San Gavino and San Miniato, dated 1345.
The room ends with a small frescoed apse, in the centre of which a Madonna with child, St. Jacopo and St. Agata attributed to the ambit of Ridolfo del Ghirlandaio (16th century) has been replaced.