Dicomano, due to its central location – it is positioned on roads leading to Florence, Casentino, Mugello and Romagna – has always been a meeting place for the exchange of merchandise, experiences and traditions. It had strong ties with Romagna.
The historical centre is lined with elegant homes and beautiful arched loggias supported by square columns. The 17th - 18th century Palazzo Dalle Pozze and Palazzo Della Nave in the main square, Piazza Buonamici, are an example of the urban architecture, as is the case with the neoclassic Oratorio di San Onofrio, which reached its artistic apex in that period. ( tel. 055 838050 - www.pievedicomano.it) Erected in 1796 by the Dal Pozzo family ((1760-1831), the prestigious monument includes a loggia with square sandstone columns supporting a triangular pediment with reliefs on the side of which we find two angels.
The luminous interiors, a precious and harmonious mix of ornate architectural elements, is set on sixteen columns with Corinthian capitals that support a low cupola. The high altar, in Carrara marble, holds a splendid panel of the Madonna dell’Ospedale, attributed to Andrea del Castagno, in a carved frame of gold rays. The side altars have semi-columns supporting horizontal entablatures. The one on the left holds a canvas of the Immaculate Conception among the Saints by Lorenzo Lippi. The extremely elegant pavement is tiled in alternating squares of white and grey marble.
The Pieve di Santa Maria, overlooking the town of Dicomano, is another important structure: it has almost completely maintained the original Romanesque structure and inside holds traces of frescoes from the Giotto school (XIV century) and also numerous paintings from the 16th and 17th century Florentine school (among the most famous: the Assumption by Curradi, Madonna with Rosary by Santi di Tito, Madonna of the Carmine attributed to Giovan Battista Naldini, Madonna on the throne with child and the saints attributed to the Ghirlandaio school), and a bas-relief and small tabernacle in Della Robbia style. It is a proper art gallery. (tel. 055 838050 - www.pievedicomano.it)
The Dicomano territory is rich in archeology. Frascole, for example, has been excavated extensively and on one of the sites the foundations of an Etruscan building were found. The building was most likely a defense structure that controlled the road to and from Casentino. A visit to the archeological site (tel. 055 838541), situated above the Dicomano hills, is truly amazing and the site full of mystery. The mystery of the Mugello Etruscans can be, in part, unveiled in the Museo Archeologico Comprensoriale del Mugello e della Val di Sieve (tel. 055 838541) situated in Palazzo Comunale di Dicomano. It preserves: “Fiesole” style memorial stones and stele found in various locations in Mugello that date back to Etruscan times (VIII-V century BC) and recount the relationship between the people and religion.
Dicomano, like other towns in Mugello, is surrounded by hills and mountains that are an invitation to nature lovers who want to spend some time walking, cycling and horseback riding.
The southern area has trails that, like the Mugello S.O.F.T. ring 4( Sorgenti di Firenze Trekking), lead up towards the peak of Monte Giove with its amazing landscape, and a definite historical, archeological and natural wealth. North of the locality of Corella, we find a small number of houses with a parish church, an important part of mountain life from the 18th to the 20th century, that can be reached by way of the S.O.F.T. ring 21, which climbs through the chestnut groves, the beech woods, to the crests of the Apennines that are the watershed between the Tuscan and Romagna territories.