Borgo San Lorenzo
The town, which is the biggest centre of the Mugello, rises at the widest part of the Sieve Valley. The original town was formed around the court of the Ubaldini, where the Roman hamlet of Annejanum rose in ancient times.
Towards the middle of the 10th century a part passed under the rule of the Florentine Bishops to which it rebelled in 1273; then it was proclaimed a Commune.
It was a theatre of struggles between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines followed faithfully by the alternate fates of Florence.
In 1351 the walls and two gates (Porta Fiorentina and Porta dell'Orologio) of which very little remained were constructed. In 1440 the town was besieged by Niccolò Piccinino in favour of the Albizi; in 1527 it was a fortress against the French.
The town was modernized and improved during the period of the Grand Duke to whose administration the town complied.