Palazzuolo sul Senio
In the suggestive historical centre, just right of the Capitani Palace , we find the 17th century St. Antonio Church. The beautiful three arch portico is decorated with 17th century stucco adornments.
Info: tel.+39 055 8046014
On the road to the Passo della Colla, through an uncontaminated stretch of beech, chestnut and oak woods we find Quadalto and St. Maria della Neve Sanctuary.
A small oratory was first built in 1459 and enlarged at the beginning of the 17th century to become the present day church. We are enchanted first by the vast sweeping portico, and then by the inside with its two side aisles and central nave separated by pillars and arches. On the high altar in stone, we can admire a valued image of the Madonna in the style of Botticelli. In the choir chamber, which stands behind precious wrought iron gates by Dino Chini, are two precious Baroque style andirons and a charming 18th century organ. Both the convent, built in 1744, and the ancient Quadalto mill, now occupied by guest rooms, stand near the church.
Open every day, (in case the door is closed please ring the bell). Open for Holy Mass. It also accommodates school camps and retreats. Info: tel. +39 055 8046072
The ancient St. Stefano Church, restructured at the beginning of the 20th century also offers a suggestive sight. Numerous precious paintings, sculptures, sacred ornaments and vestments from the abandoned churches of the territory are held in the presbytery. The apse and the side chapels are rich with floral decorations created by Dino Chini in 1945.
The church is opened for the celebration of Mass at 6pm from Monday to Saturday; and on Sunday at 11am and at 6pm. Info: tel. +39 055 8046014
Nearby we can admire Susinana Abbey, once the property of the Vallombrosian monks, but now a farm estate with an ancient church that has recently been restored (open only by appointment: tel 0558046014). Here we find the Medieval Misileo Parish Church which includes a crypt and a Romanesque bell tower.